Filter transformation in Informatica : Filter Transformation in informatica is active and connected transformation. The filter transformation is used to filter out rows in an Informatica mapping.Here we will discuss filter transformation in Informatica with example , properties and component of Filter Transformation.
What is Filter Transformation in Informatica?
As name suggest Filter Transformation in Informatica is use to filter out the unwanted records from the incoming data in a mapping.We connect all the required port from incoming data and add required condition in filter and link the out port of filter transformation with the following transformations ( or Target Definitions)
Filter transformation scenarios
A business may chose not to process records which do not meet a data quality criterion, such as containing a null value in a field which may cause a target constraint violation or eliminate from the process date field values which will not provide useful data
How Filter Transformation works in Informatica ?
Filter transformation simply filters out the rows which don’t satisfy the filter condition.
Is Filter Transformation Active or Passive ?
Filter Transformation is an active transformation as it is changing the no of output row (by keeping only those which meets the filter condition)
Is Filter Transformation Connected or Unconnected ?
Filter Transformation is a Connected Transformation.
Must Read : Learn more about Informatica Architecture
How to use filter transformation in Informatica?
Below are the steps to create
- Go to Toolbar->click Transformation -> Create. Select the Filter transformation
- Enter a name like FLT_DEPT_1, click on Create and then click on Done.
- Add all additional port from source input which is going to be use in following transformation.
- Edit the properties of FLT_DEPT_1 Transformation by clicking on “Edit” option
Properties of Filter Transformation
Click on properties tab of filter Transformation and give the input as described as below :
Filter Condition : Condition which to filter out desired records
Tracing Level: Logging level to be tracked in the session log file.
Check here for filter transformation example in informatica
Performance Tuning Guidelines:
- Use filter closer to source to prevent the processing of unwanted records downstream.
- If possible include these filter condition at source qualifier itself ( in relation DB)
More things to know about Filter Transformation
- To Filter out the NULL records , we can use ISNULL function
- While generating condition in filter transformation , we can figure out the port available by clicking on port tab under expression editor
- You can combine multiple condition with the help of logical operator (like AND OR NOT under Operation Keypad)
- We can use function also while adding the condition in Filter Transformation
- Filter is valid for one type of Target. If we want to populate multiple Target (with different filter condition) then we need to use Router Transformation
So in this article we have gone through details about filter Transformation in Informatica ,component/Properties of filter Transformation ,informatica scenarios where to use it , steps to create it and performance related guidelines